Named after the red supergiant 427 light years away, Betelgeuse is a simple software raytracer, which was part of my Master’s Thesis. It features:
- Input format similar to POV-Ray.
- Several types of geometry, such as triangle, sphere, cone, etc.
- Boolean operations for closed geometric objects (union, difference, intersection).
- Three light models – point light, spot light and directional light.
- Dynamically build BSP tree of objects used during ray intersections.
- Miscellaneous ways to define objects’ texture coordinates.
- Parallel raytracing on computers connected via network.
- Anti-aliasing of final images.